Saturday, June 9, 2012

Altered Welcome Sign using Word Collage and Cricut :)

I have been in a funk lately and decided that part of it might be that I don't take enough time to play...don't ask my husband, he thinks that is all I do....I said don't ask him..... LOL.

I had mentioned to my friend from work Deanna, that I would make her a Welcome sign a while back and have just now gotten it made....good thing she forgot about it :)

The metal base is a Goodwill store find that started out as a calendar which I sanded down and painted, distressed and then painted when I finally remembered to look for a small can of blue spray paint when I was at the store LOL.  I airbrushed on the highlight distress colors around the edges where the letters were not going to be.  I have trouble getting the letters to adhere to paint that is not the regular spray paint...probably me but I wanted them to stick since it was a gift ..know what I mean :)
All of the flowers are hand made and airbrushed to match the color theme of brown and blue.  The key is a dollar bin find from Michaels',     Love it.   I attached a clear Tim Holtz tag onto which I mounted a vellum butterfly which I sponged with blue distress ink and a rose. In real life they appear to be floating around the key.
I cut up a crochet doilie for the upper right hand corner and tied a brown and white check ribbon to coordinate with the ribbon along the bottom.
I really enjoyed making the Welcome sign and loved the time I spent making this for my friend.  I hope she enjoyed it.

Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful creative day!!!
Cathy

1 comment:

Turtle In The Sand said...

I couldn't wait to look at this when I saw the thumbnail on my blog. Don't you just love it when you find a Goodwill Bargain? You sure put a lot of work and love in this sign. Lucky friend, Cathy,