Friday, August 19, 2011

Something New for me--Art Canvas!!!

My friend Barbara from Sassy Cheryl's and Mo's Digital Pencil Paper Craft sites created a beautiful art canvas last week (maybe two weeks now) and I thought I might like to try it one of these days.  After I got back from my trip to Tennessee for my son's wedding I was looking through a decorating catalog and there were some tin tiles that were very similar to her art canvas so I went to Michael's and they had some 12X 12 canvas on sale so here is what I created.

The canvas is 12X 12 and I plan to make a set of 3 different ones for my entry stairs.  Because I am a lazy artist I used Tim Holtz masks and my copic Airbrush system for the basic background. 
The flowers were cut out with my cricut from the Home Accents cartridge and used as a mask,  The letters are a Tim Holtz mask.  The scroll in the upper right corner is also a Tim Holtz mask.  I airbrushed in E33 and E35 for the browns. I used BG53 and BG 72 for the teals. 
When I had those the way I wanted them  I went over the lower corners with Ranger crackle paint in brown, and to soften the brown, closer to the lettering, I used the white ranger crackle paint which I swiped on with a dry wet wipe.
I added a large chip board butterfly, which had been run through my cuttlebug with a dotted swiss folde,r and painted with the white crackle paint. 
A strand of faux pearls was added to simulate the flight of the butterfly and a heart hangs from the strand center.  The strand originates from the flower in the lower right which was created with flowers cut with the cricut and shaped around pencils and tweezers to shape the petals.  The final touch was a beaded hat pin for the butterfly body.
Thanks for the inspiration Barbara, this was a really fun project and something I really enjoy doing and don't do often enough :)

Don't know why the rust of the flower shows up so red it really isn't as bright but photography is rather deceptive sometimes especially when done in the middle of the night.

Hope you enjoyed my project and if you want to see a pretty project stop by Barbara's blog and check out her project which inspired me.

Thanks for stopping by.

Cathy

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Beautiful! Cannot wait to see the next two.

Jeni said...

Wow Cathy...this is gorgeous!!! Looking forward to seeing more of them. ~jeni :)

Grenouille Greetings said...

Beautiful, Cathy! So soft and dreamy! Hugs, Lesley

Pat said...

Cathy...this is STUNNING! I love it! You are so talented! I may be borrowing this idea! hehehe! Hugs. Pat

Barbara said...

Cathy OMG girlfriend you did a beautiful job,i smiled when you said i inspired you to try playing with canvas,now i cant wait to see the other ones.hugs