Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sunday is Challenge Day!

Sunday is usually the day that I try to catch up on a few challenges. Today I was able to complete two challenges. The first is the sketch challenge on Dog Gone Stamps. I had colored the image last week but used it to make the card for the challenge.

I colored the black lab with copic markers and used the copic airbrush for the grass and sky. The card is a 5X5 square to fit all of the pieces in. I mounted the SU kiwi kiss cardstock (cs) onto the black and white polka dot designer paper (dp). I mounted all of the squares onto white cs and then the white cs panel onto another piece of kiwi kiss cs.

I tied a piece of black ribbon with white stitching around the center panel of the squares. I wanted the card to have an I Miss You sentiment because the little pup looks like he misses his ball throwing buddy. I cut a piece of shrinki dink and stamped the sentiment on with my brushed stroke alphabet stamps from SU. I then melted and shrunk the shrinky dink with my heat gun. It is so fun to watch the shrinky dink melt and shrivel up in wierd shapes before laying flat. I almost had a disaster though, the shrinky dink was larger than some I have worked with and it started to melt onto itself. I had to use a tweezers to get it unstuck and finish heating it. Worst case senario I would have had to make another one but it came out just fine.
My second challenge was for GinaK Designs, StampTV. Melanie Muenchinger hosted the Potluck Friday Challenge which was to do a split screen project. Basically you just needed to cut an image into three sections and mount it.

My first card was really pretty but there was just something about it that I didn't like in the middle band, so I made another that I liked much better here:

Don't fall out of your chairs, but I did not use any copic markers to make this card :O. Before I became addicted to copic markers my favorite medium was watercolors. I used my SU water color crayons directly onto the Elegant Flowers stamp, from the Floral Frenzy Kit, and stamped onto a damp piece of white water color paper. I stamped the flower three times and when it was dry I stamped the crackled background stamp from Bold Flowers, also from the Floral Frenzy Kit.

I sponged the edges with Tim Holtz Weathered Wood Distress Ink and mounted my main image pieces on blue bayou cs. I had stamped the kiwi kiss piece of cs with the crackled background stamp using SU mellow moss ink.

I wanted to add a sentiment so I created a tag using my tag punch for the scalloped ends. Gotta thank my friend Theresa for that tip which I have used so many times since she showed it on her blog. I had a piece of organdy ribbon that I had dyed Not quite Navy that I tied onto the green cs panel and mounted it all on a piece of Not Quite Navy SU cs. I had some irridescent beads that matched perfectly to I glued them 3 on the top panel and 3 on the bottom panel. My second challenge card was done.

In case you want to judge my rejected card and see why I didn't think it was the best here it is: I really like the pinks and greens but something about the center panel just isn;t quite right, I will figure it out and redo it when I have time. I used the same water color technique on this card as the blue one.

I have also been working on a big DT project that I can't show you yet.

Well, I have been windy enough. I guess that happens when I don't post for a day because unless I am sick or out of town I am always creating something.

See you tomorrow night with a sexy giraffe card.... think about that one!


1 comment:

Jacilynn said...

Love the 3 part images. Great cards. Love all 3. Great coloring