Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Charmed Life Candle gift

I thought that a candle in Kristen's wedding colors would be nice as a little house warming gift. I wanted to use the roses from A Year of Flowers by Melanie Muenchinger, sold at GinaK Designs. You all know this is my all time favorite set is you have followed my blog at all. I also wanted to include the To A Very Charming Couple, wine glass and ring charm and Cheers sentiment to the candle from Melanie's A Charmed Life stamp set. I used both sides of the candle to complete this task. Her wedding was yesterday and it was beautiful, outdoors at a Country Club gazebo. I just got home from Kansas City a little bit ago so wanted to get my candle posted.

I love to create candles with stamped images, it is very easy to do and the method I use is Tissue paper/waxed paper/heat gun. The first thing I do is stamp the images that I want to use on white tissue paper. I used Momento Tuxedo Black ink sold at GinaK Designs, for this candle. I then colored the images with Cat's eye chalk ink on a foam eye shadow make up brush by dabbing on the ink, you have to be careful not to tear the tissue paper. I have used colored pencils for coloring also but not on this image.
Once I had the images colored to my satisfaction I trimmed the images close so that they melt seamlessly into the cancle wax. I laid the images on the candle where I wanted them, doing one side at a time. I wrapped a 4X8 piece of waxed paper tightly around the candle and used my heatgun to melt the images into the candle. You can tell when the images have melted in because the tissue paper turns from white to clear. You don't want to melt the candle so much it runs but don't want to see any tissue edges either. You need to remove the waxed paper immediately so that the wax that is stuck on the waxed paper doesn't re-adhere to the candle as it cools.
Tip: Do not try to reuse the waxed paper, the image will not melt correctly, ask me how I know? Waxed paper is cheap so no reason to try to reuse it.
I added 3 little heart shaped brads by poking a shallow hole in the candle with a pin just enough so that the tip of the brad stem would go into the was and not bend and then just press in slowly until you have set it the depth you want.
I usually add ribbon or a charm but because I had words and an image and didn't really have that much extra room.
Warning to offer candle recipient: This candle can be burned but only down to the image because it is paper and will burn.
Hope you enjoy this project. If you have any questions, do not hestiate to send me an email.
My month as Melanie's guest designer is coming to a close but I will have a couple of more projects over the next few days.
It was a great week-end but really nice to be home.
Later,
Cathy

No comments: