Sunday, February 15, 2009

I did two challenges today, Yeah for me!!

Well, we made it through the snow storm yesterday with no ill effects. The snow started as I was going to work and ended before I left work at 5:30 so I had about 7 inches of snow to drive home in. I hear more on the way this week so I will get quality stamping time.

I did two challenges today. the first is for the weekly GinaK Designs challenge hosted by Joanne Basille. Her challenges are always great and this was no exception. Use Kraft paper, that was it.

I didn't have kraft cardstock so I looked in my old SU catalog and matched it as closely as I could. Here is the card I made:




I wanted the sentiment to be the focal point of the card so I kept it kind of simple. I used my Top Note Die for the larger beige panel and used my Quikutz label die for the Kraft label that I sponged with Tim Holtz Vintage Photo distress ink. I sponged all of the edges but you can't really tell the sponging on the bottom layer for some reason.

I added a piece of ivory sheer ribbon to the Top Note panel bottom and tied another piece of white sheer ribbon and light brown loop edge satin ribbon to the first knot bow. I punched two leaves with my Martha Steward leafy punch. I also punched 2 butterflies out of vellum with my Martha Steward Butterfly punch. I don't care what you say about Martha Stewart you gotta love her punches.

My card is done for the GinaK Challenge for this week.

My second challenge card is for week3 at Dog Gone Stamps. Jana created another really fun sketch challenge and here is my card I made:


I don't know what is wrong with me but once again I followed the sketch without changing it.

This card is larger than most that I make, it measures 5 1/2 inches square.

I colored the main image, elephant with balloons, from Dog Gone Stamps with copic markers. I added Atyou green glitter pen to the green balloon and Star Dust clear glitter to the yellow and blue. I put a few dots of the clear pen inside the pink ear of the elephant and smeared it with my finger to spread it around in the ear. You can't see that in the picture here but it is sparkly.

I used my red Atyou glitter pen to paint her toe nails, Hey, if you are an elephant it's the little things that dress you for the party.
I cut the main image out using the out of the box technique, so that the balloons are hanging over the edge of the other two matt panels. I thought it would add a little interest to the square center panels.
The cute felt flowers are from the dollar bin at Target and because I wanted to tie in the colors to the SU Polka Dot and Paisley designer paper that I used I added the ribbon elements.
I like the way that it turned out and Jana had another fun sketch challenge.
Feel free to join the challenges at Paper Craft Planet, Dog Gone Stamps Group, it's a really fun group and they let me play.
I'm going to stop for now and go color some more.

Have a good night and see you tomorrow with more news about the Dog Gone Stamp blog candy scheduled to begin on Thursday.

Nite,

Cathy

4 comments:

Theresa Momber said...

Beautiful cards, Cathy! I love the elegant simplicity of the kraft card and your coloring on the elephant is gorgeous!

Jean said...

Love these Cathy, the top one is so pretty. That elephant and her painted nails though how cute is she?

Jacilynn said...

Too cute with the toes painted. Love it!

Anonymous said...

This is fabulous! That image is adorable and your coloring is fantastic!

Tonya